Electives and Observership Program
Liaquat National Hospital (LNH) is one of the largest private (not-for-profit) health care provider in the country and has been looking after the health of the people of Karachi and the rest of the country for over 60 years. It has been training health professionals of the highest caliber at the undergraduate and postgraduate level and many of these have returned to its fold after augmenting their training in other parts of the world. Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College offer electives / observership programs. This is an excellent opportunity for Medical & Surgical, Allied Health & Paramedical students to observe patient care practices under the supervision and guidance of highly qualified faculty.
The aim of this program is to enable the visiting students to explore any area of their interest in the field of healthcare and to enrich their personal and academic development by gaining a personalized experience at one of the largest tertiary care hospital of Pakistan.
Elective/Observership Students placements at LNH&MC would enable visiting students to broaden their practical and management experience, refine their communication and interpersonal skills and gain a first-hand exposure of healthcare dynamics.
Electives include any educational experience (Clinical/Research) offered by other than mother institute of Healthcare through their elective programs. It is intended to provide additional learning experience for career enrichment and to support candidature for his/her professional life.
- Students who have completed 2nd year/4th semester of their academic program of relevant discipline can apply.
- Students should have cleared all exams in first attempt; with an equivalent average of 2.65 CGPA or at least 65% in semester examination and an overall of 65% in Professional examinations (aggregate).
- Result awaiting/Graduates with an equivalent average of 2.65 CGPA at least 65% in semester examination.
- Cardiac Surgery
- Chest Medicine
- Dental & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- E.N.T-Head and Neck Surgery
- Paeds Medicine
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Mental Health
- Vascular Surgery
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Extemporaneous & Non Sterile Compounding Services
- Sterile Compounding Services and Intravenous Piggy Back Services
- Oncology Pharmacy Services
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation (Chest unit)
- Gynae & Obstetrics (Women health)
- Sport Rehabilitation (orthopaedics)
- Hand Rehabilitation (Plastic Surgery)
- Paeds Rehabilitation
- Intensive Care (Critical care)
- Physiotherapy Outpatient Rehabilitation (Musculoskeletal)
- Neuromedicine /Neurosurgery Rehabilitation (Stroke, Gait, Spinal)
Orthotic and Prosthetic
Diagnostic & Laboratory Sciences
- Molecular Pathology
- Blood Bank
- Lab Collection Centre
- Radiology Science
- Critical Care Science
- Dialysis Science
- Operation Theatre Science
- Nephrology / Dialysis
- Cath Lab
- Elderly Care
- Administrative departments
An observership is an educational experience (longer than a day but no longer than 4 weeks) that is restricted to watching and listening during patient histories, physical examinations, procedures, Surgeries, outpatient appointments, teaching rounds, and educational conferences.
- Students studying in O- Level, A-Level or Intermediate may apply.
- Students should have cleared all exams in first attempt; with an equivalent average of at least 65% or 2.65 GPA, in annual examination.
How to apply?Application form can be downloaded from HERE .
Application Form must be accompanied with the following documents:
- Two passport-size photographs.
- Attested photocopies of Mark Sheets (Last examination).
- N.O.C. from the Principal of the concerned college on letterhead mentioning the Roll number, year of study & month for which NOC is given. Without submission of NOC, the application will not be entertained.
- Please note that electives/observership programs are offered in calendar months on the 1st day or 16th day of each month.
- Applicant who have completed fourth semester (appeared in Second Professional Examination) can apply for Elective and Observership Programs.
- Applicant will be notified for an interview within a week time before start of their Elective/Observership.
- Once the offer is accepted by the candidate, cannot be changed.
- The certificate will be issued at the end of the elective/observership as per evaluation (including the attendance and behavior of the candidate) given by the Elective Supervisor.
- Approximately four weeks duration is the minimum period for elective rotation in one discipline.
- An observership duration is longer than a day but no longer than 4 weeks
- Applicant is allowed to do electives maximum twice in a year.
Code of Conduct
- Electives in all settings are expected to dress in a simple, decent and appropriate manner.
- Reporting for the electives on-time and using appropriate written and oral expression in all interactions with Hospital personnel, managers, supervisors, employees, the public and clients.
- Engaging in positive, good and legal behavior.
- Observing all established safety and sanitation codes.
- Participating in all relevant orientation or testing required by the Institute.
- Electives individually or as a group will refrain from engaging in any activity which hinders or prevents the participation of another person or group of persons in any of the activities of the Hospital.
- Electives will refrain from any behavior which will cause damage to Hospital property.
- Electives will ensure that their actions do not in any way threaten or endanger the health, safety or security of other persons or imperil the latter’s properties.
- Maintaining confidentiality regarding information accessed on any patients, clients, members, employees, and products or services associated with the Institute.
- Taking pictures of patient and ongoing services in the institute and posting them on social media is not only unethical but also against institutional policy and is liable to legal action if necessary.